Thursday, February 2, 2006

lovin my banking job

I can't believe it's February already. Time is sure flying. I started my new bank job on Friday and love love love it. For several days I've felt "barely useful" b/c I didn't have my own computer login info, or my own cash drawer or anything. I would run the occasional transaction on someone else's number with them watching but I was new and slow-ish and just wanted to hurry up and be trained so that I could feel like I was actually working instead of just being in the way.

For those curious about "How Not To Rob A Bank" I have to tell the background story first. Yesterday in the drive through was a person who wanted to cash two checks that were written on a couple of our accounts. And we do that, but for non-customers they have to come into the lobby to do it. Well, this guy was NOT coming into the lobby and we WOULD cash those checks for him and he wasn't leaving until we would do that. Our manager came over and told the customer that he needed to come into the lobby also, so then the guy wanted to speak to our manager's boss. So our manager gave the guy the phone number and he sits in the drive through and calls him and of course gets all mad when he gets voice mail and again said that he wouldn't leave until he got those checks cashed. Well finally our manager had to tell him that he would call the police if he didn't leave. So the guy left... but veeeerrry slowly. He stopped around the corner in our parking lot for several minutes before going on his way. (He did end up calling and making a complaint saying that we treated him unprofessionally... but whatever). Anyway, getting to the how NOT to rob a bank part... the district manager came in a bit later to follow up w/ the situation, and while there he told us of this one time where a guy tried to rob a bank. Except this particular guy tried to rob the drive-thru. With a knife. The poor criminal of course did not get any money that way. :P

Today I finally got all my "stuff" so I could process my own transactions. The teller supervisor wanted me to start my own transactions yesterday but I didn't have any computer access until very late in the day (even though I did have all my keys). So it was a no go for that. And today I didn't really do any transactions either b/c of the late hour in the day when I got the money assigned to me. I basically verified that what was there was supposed to be there (with someone watching me the whole time) and then did my "final balance of the day" and signed off, then spent my last few minutes organizing it a little better. The manager asked me if I was nervous and I said no, but it is a teeny bit nerve-wracking. I just hope I remember vital bits of info when I start doing my very own transactions and don't mess something up.

Oh and one more funny thing that happened today... we had a customer in the drive thru, and if I or one of the other tellers has personally waited on them before, then we don't have to get their ID for cash back or cashing a check or something. Well this particular customer apparently had been to this branch a lot but it was back when other people were working. He got mad when we asked for his ID and said that "we need to keep the same people there all the time" b/c it's bad customer service to ask for an ID each time. As if we had ANY control over the hiring of people or people leaving or getting fired or anything. Once the customer made his point though he wasn't going to let it go until we agreed with him... he kept pressing us and asking "Don't you agree that it's bad customer service?" :P (insert rolling eyes icon here) I wonder what fun surprises will be in store for me tomorrow.

But seriously though, the best thing about this job is that I really feel like I can do it for a very long time. With the other two jobs I worked here in Missouri and even a few jobs before that, I was just counting the months and years to the time that we would be able to start trying for a baby and/or be pregnant, so that I could have a "countdown" to what my last day at work would be. But with this job, it's different. I no longer feel the need to hurry up and get pregnant so I can hurry up and have my last day. And the hours are great, the pay is decent, and it's very close to home. And, if I do get pregnant while there, then I will be able to wear my big stash of maternity clothes that I'm still trying to get motivated to sew up. :P But that may be in the near future OR the far future and it doesn't matter a whole lot right now. I am content to go one day at a time now.

No comments: