Saturday, February 14, 2009

sick in more ways than one, potty "not" training, and the continuing wait

Hubby still does not have a job. Unemployment is coming in, but it's of course not enough. He thought about taking a job that is 7 hours away and decided it wouldn't be the best thing. The brand new people that are walking into the union off the street right now are being told to call back in 3 months. Meanwhile, hubby is being asked to just check in once/week. There was a job about an hour away, but they only took 2 apprentices and he wasn't high enough up on the list to be one of those two slots. He is still working delivering pizza in the meantime, so that is helping. And he finally stood up and requested some more hours, especially since he doesn't have a day job right now, and they gave him some more. I've been busy the last couple of weeks doing transcription, since it's that time of the quarter. One more slightly busy week and then I'll be done with it until late April. We did our taxes and are pleased with the result.

I've had sort of a cough the last few days, just irritation from a runny nose, nothing that's really contagious. But it's making me a lot more tired than I'd normally be in this condition, and is also aggravating my nausea. Just two more months until I'm 14 weeks along and hopefully the nausea and exhaustion will be behind me. (Oh, btw, I'm pregnant. Lydia's going to be a big sister in October.)

Speaking of Lydia, I can't remember if I'd mentioned it on this blog or not, but last year I did try to potty train her off and on. I did so very lightly when she was about 18 months old, and failed, and tried again in a couple of months, and failed again. She just wasn't ready and still isn't ready. She doesn't care if she's wet or dirty. She's fearful of the toilet and screams if I try to have her sit on it. Right after a shower, if she happens to have an accident before I get a new diaper on her, she doesn't even notice or care at all. I really don't know where to go from here, but may do a "potty boot camp" later this summer where we just hang out in the bathroom with books and juice, but for now, I've just given up everything. I barely even talk about it with her anymore, except in obvious cases to point out the benefits (like when she's complaining about being wiped after a #2, I let her know that if she had put it in the potty then she wouldn't need to be wiped as much). But other than instances like that, I don't mention it to her anymore. She'll either randomly "get it" and train herself sometime between now and the summer, or the "potty boot camp" will produce some results, or she'll continue in diapers. I go through phases with this milestone where I worry that she seriously will NEVER EVER potty train, then go through a few months of peaceful waiting b/c I realize that she's developmentally normal and a normal child is very likely to be out of diapers by age 5, but then the cycle resumes and I start to fret again.

So that's my update for today. Hopefully I'll have some other positive news to report before the end of the month.

No comments: