Friday, November 11, 2005

would you like cheese on your hashbrowns?

That is the question that I now ask several times a day. Except it's not "with cheese". It's "covered". I did start my new waitressing job on Tuesday and spent most of the day watching videos of procedural things. I took my training book home and was instructed to read the few "yellow" pages in it, but I found the book so interesting that I went ahead and read the rest of it. LOL. It showed me a little of how to write up tickets and how to call in orders. On Wednesday, I shadowed my trainer all day (morning shift) and she also showed me how to call in tickets and write them up. Then she would have me call in tickets that she wrote up and after I called the order in, she would tell the grill operator "and I'm not even telling her what to say!". She was very impressed with me. She said that in the 11 years that she's worked there, only 2 other people have caught on as fast as I have. Also on Wednesday they let the other new girl go... she just wasn't working out. I think she had been there about a week before I started. When I left on Wednesday my trainer told me that she thought I would be ready for my own tables sometime on Thursday (which was good because as soon as I had my "own" tables, I could start keeping the tips). And sure enough, I was. Yesterday I followed her for only about an hour and then she went ahead and had me clock out and back in (so she could change my pay later at that time from training pay to waitress pay) and the rest of the day I had my own tables and my own tips. :)

I still have a LOT of things to learn though... like the advertised special on a big sign right outside of our restaurant... I keep forgetting about that and charging customers too much (66 cents). And my trainer gives me mini-coachings every day for something to work on... today she said I looked like I was concentrating too much and I need to smile more. :) AND I need to keep working on the prices. I'm remembering some of them but others are going to take me some time. But overall I am very much enjoying it. My coworkers are all very nice and friendly. The smoke isn't bad. I "tested" it by smelling my work clothes the next day, and they don't smell smoky or anything. Oh and I met the owner today too. He asked what day I started and I told him Tuesday. Then a bit later he asked if my trainer was going to send home some practice tickets to call in. I told him that I was sortof out of training already. LOL. So he gives me a fake order to see how I would call it in, and I forgot 2 small things. But it's all good. :)

Now, how is this new job going to affect when hubby and I try for a baby? I don't know. It will be a couple of months before I really see how this plus the home job is going to work out w/ regard to getting out of debt, etc. We should still be able to start trying in April at the very very latest, and could possibly start in January at the earliest. If we start trying in January, and my post-pill cycles stay as long as they have been (this most recent one was 53 days)... then I could be at the beginning of my last avoiding cycle. It is a scary thought. But exciting at the same time. :)

No comments: