Thursday, May 18, 2006

starting to sink in more after hearing the heartbeat

Wow.

Is there really any other word besides that to describe the feeling you have when you hear your own unborn baby's heartbeat for the first time?

No, I don't think there is, so I'll say it again.

Wow. :)

Ok now that I've gotten that out of my system, here is the long story. :) Our long-awaited second prenatal appointment finally happened yesterday. We get to the place and I miss the turn *again* and have to double back. I told hubby that when we get to our weekly appointments then I will remember where to turn. We go inside and check in and the receptionist sends me to the lab to give my regular specimen. Hubby wanted to come with me but I made him wait out in the lobby. When I got back he was pretending to be asleep. Poor thing is entering his busy season and was so tired. He tried to scare me when he "woke up" but I didn't go for it. :P

We get called back pretty quickly and the medical assistant takes my weight and blood pressure (I've gained 5 lbs according to the scale but think I'm just having a "fat week" because for these last 4 weeks I was at the exact same weight except for 3 days ago.). BP was 118/71 or so. The doctor came in pretty quickly and went over my normal-to-the-point-of-boring lab results and asked if I had any questions and briefly mentioned the optional quad-screen test that would be coming up probably the appointment after next.

We had gotten to see our baby's heartbeat on the ultrasound 3 weeks ago, and I was expecting to eventually also hear it via doppler. I had read things online that said it is easiest to hear the heartbeat after 12 weeks so I wasn't even expecting her to try and listen to it today, but she did. :) There was a doppler and gel and everything right there in the room ready. Before she got started she said that if she couldn't hear it that we could go over to the ultrasound and take a peek. :) She put the want on my belly and kept finding my pulse at first and saying "That's you..... that's you again..... that's still you......" then there was a bit longer pause and she found the baby's quieter, faster heartbeat. :D It was so amazing. I am so in love with this tiny child already.

On the way home, hubby kept saying, "You have something alive growing inside you." lol. Later that evening I said to him that maybe I am pregnant after all, but I want to take one more home pregnancy test to make sure. He of course knew I was joking though. My coworkers were teasing me though saying that it might not be the baby's heartbeat, it might be my stomach growling. lol. I told them that my stomach had never growled so rhythmically before. :P

27 more days until my next appointment and hopefully my morning sickness will be gone by then. It's not too bad but just bad enough to make me want it to hurry up and be over. And at least it's very mild, I have that to be thankful for. Anyway that is about all for now. I'll try to update this thing more regularly. :P

No comments: