Wednesday, July 5, 2006

working at home is coming back

I haven't written much lately about my work at home venture. Over the past several months I've sortof tapered off with it. I'll take the odd call here and there just to keep myself "active", but the main focus of that company was burning me out.

Then, they introduced directory assistance. That was awesome! I loved it and was looking forward to supplementing my "day job" income BIG time with that. But, it went away almost as quickly as it came. The way that the higher ups worded their e-mails about it, I didn't think it was ever going to come back. So I went back to doing very few calls here and there, then about a month ago, they said "guess what, directory assistance is coming back, launching the day after memorial day." Yay! I was excited. But, that day came and went with no re-launch. And even today, it STILL has not been re-launched. The last message on it said that it would come back within the next two weeks. Well, that would put me right at my 60 days (I have to take a call every 60 days to stay active), so that weekend I went ahead and logged in and grabbed a couple of calls.

In the meantime, I e-mailed my "supervisor" and asked her about getting on with one of the other projects that this company is doing. This other "line" of calls is taking orders for a national restaurant for delivery. It is something that I felt I could do so I e-mailed my supervisor and asked her how to get into that pool and be able to take those calls. She wrote back and said that she put me on the "list" of interested agents. I wondered to myself how long the list was and when I would hear back from someone, but didn't worry too much about it.

Then 2 days ago, I woke up to find an e-mail waiting for me that says I've been selected to start training for that line! I was given a link to the training modules and told that when I complete modules 1 and 2, I'll be given instructions on how to download and log into the ordering application. So I cranked out the first two modules and passed the quizzes on Monday, and Tuesday morning I downloaded the application and finished my training. Tuesday afternoon I got one final e-mail saying that I have been moved out of training mode and into production mode (meaning I would be sending out REAL LIVE orders... scary! lol). I worked one half-hour shift last night to get my feet wet, and it was actually kindof fun. :) I really like the interface in the ordering software, and the callers are generally friendly. And the best thing about it is that this particular line's busiest time is a time when I'm consistently off from my day job, so once I get into the swing of things I should be able to do a shift or two every day, and then a little more on the weekends.

And, like I said way earlier when I first mentioned this work at home venture, it is something that I can do after the baby comes, too, to help bring in a little income. We _can_ live off of hubby's income alone, but it's nice to have a little extra padding for emergencies. :)

No comments: