Wednesday, March 21, 2007

first shots, playing with her tongue

Well, I went the other day to write a blog entry and got a BIG message saying that they no longer offer free blogging accounts and that your blog will expire at the end of the year. :( So, I asked other message boards I'm on for opinions as to what would be a good site to blog on. This site won, hands down. :) I spent the last several days moving two years' worth of blog entries to this new spot. Finally finished this morning. It was actually a good thing, overall, because I got kindof tired of the way the old one looked and acted. :P I hope to be able to put more links and pictures in there now.

Lydia's doing fine. She was 3 months and 1 week at her appointment, and weighed a whopping 11 lbs 2 oz and was 22.5" long and had a 15.5" head. Shots were NOT fun. The rotavirus one wasn't too bad since it was oral, but while I was giving it to her she had a look on her face like "ew gross, mom, WHAT are you trying to feed me? This isn't milk!" Then came the regular shots. She screamed from the pain of the first poke, and before she could recover from that wound, she screamed even harder (I didn't know that was even possible) at the second and third pokes in the other leg. But then 20 seconds later she was fine. I didn't even nurse her, just rocked her a tiny bit and she was quiet and looking around. I took her home and she ate and went down calmly for a nap. She seemed to be doing OK so I hadn't given her any tylenol yet. But then she woke up 2 hours later SCREAMING. I gave her tylenol then even though she didn't have a fever since she was obviously in pain, but even after the dose, she still screamed for an hour before she was halfway calm enough to nurse. She didn't scream like that again, but 5 hours after the first dose I gave her another dose, and took her temp right before that second dose, and it was 101.5. The office had asked me to call if her temp got over 102. It was bedtime by then, so I took her into bed with us and she nursed and slept all night. In the morning, her temp was down to 99.5 and she was in much better spirits (started smiling and cooing again) so I didn't give her any more tylenol after that 2nd dose. And now that it's been several days, she's acting like she's never had any shots at all, but I didn't know she'd wake up screaming in pain like that. Most everyone else on here who mentioned baby's shots say that "they did fine" or "they only cried a little bit" so I'll probably mention DD's reaction at her next appointment.

But otherwise she really is doing so well. :) Here's a picture of her:



You can see her sticking out her tongue. One of her favorite things to do is "talk" (mostly just an aaaaah sound so far), and when she does this she will stick out her tongue ALL the way, and turn her volume ALL the way up. I am amazed that such loud talking can come out of such a teeny baby. She's so funny, too, because she will just be playing along with her tongue, and then ALL OF A SUDDEN she's at full volume. It's so cute. :) Here's a video:



She finally seems to be grabbing things "on purpose." Her play gym has fishes that dangle from it, and the tails of them are crinkly. She will play on it and "talk" to them, and I'll be over doing something, and then I'll hear the crinkle and look over and she has found a tail and is squeezing on it. :) Her gym is also rectangle-shaped, and I'll lay her down, and several minutes later I'll have to go adjust her, b/c she will have rotated herself 90 degrees around. On her tummy, she can hold her head up decently, and usually does an "airplane" thing where she'll hold up her head, arms, AND legs. But she still doesn't roll over either way yet. OH and yesterday morning I gave her her first shower. :) I got in first and had DH give her to me and washed her, then he took her and dried her off and dressed her. :) She loved it, and it was so much easier than a bath.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The immunisation schedule must be different there - our first one are at 2mths then more at 4 mths, 6 mths, 12 mths, 2yrs & 4!
Also, we don't have an oral one he just had 2 needles at his 2 mth ones.

We have to go and make an appt for his 4 mth ones actually but Steven will take him since I just cannot watch needles! He groaned for a few hrs after his, but baby paracetamol did hte trick and he slept thru the night just fine.

Andrea said...

We do the 2m, 4m, 6m etc here too... but I missed her 2m appt due to some scheduling confusion.

Anonymous said...

Aahh ok. Gotcha! :)